Sunday, January 9, 2011

Happy New Year!



Today is cold and windy but the sun is shining.  I’m working in my living room for a few hours – as long as it’s warmed by the sun.  It’s a pleasant change from my corner in the kitchen, where I’ve spent much time because of arctic cold and then 2 snow storms.  I’m listening to The Doors –  C’mon Baby, Light my Fire – and to the wind rattling the windowpanes.    I’ve barely painted at all in the last few weeks.  It’s been too cold outside & I’ve also been so  busy with Holidays I don’t think of taking  a moment to  sit in my car & do a sketch or 2.   My bad. I feel as if I’ve been on Hiatus and now it’s time to get back to work.

I haven’t taken the time to stop and sketch at the farm but I have taken photos every week and have done a few sketches from the photos.   I’ve mostly  been reading,  The Complete Guide to Watercolor Painting  by Edgar A. Whitney, which I re-discovered this past fall after a talk with Tony Connor, which  has inspired me greatly, like going to a familiar place and feeling excited, curious, interested -- as if for  the first time.  My 'new' watercolor bible.

I think that the appeal to me in reading this book is that it validates much of my watercolor painting experience as well as makes it clear that I have so much to learn….

On my Resolution list for the New Year; more sketching,  more color mixing, more designing my composition from photos and memory, more study….

Happy New Year to All.

No comments:

Post a Comment