Friday, February 18, 2011

The Product of the Process Feb 18, '11







I gave a lot of thought as to how I wanted to proceed with this project and in the end, un-taped the watercolor paper from the foam core then taped the paper to my drawing board.  I don’t have on hand a piece of bond paper large enough to make a Same-Size drawing, don’t want to wait to proceed until I do, don’t want to spend $’s I don’t have on paper I don’t really need....

After I taped the paper to the board, I marked it off into my rule of 3rds grid and then, copying from the working copy and the tracing,  worked out a lot of the details with a ruler.  I also used my 1st working copy and the tracing as my guides and eyeballed a lot of the drawing.  I got the foundation drawing to the point where it felt ‘right’, un-taped the paper from the drawing table and re-taped it to the foam core.  

A few hours work....  It was an out-of-time, pleasant, happy few hours, working in sunlight in my studio.  I’m pleased with the results so far.  Now I’m looking at the drawing on the paper, just waiting for the moment when I start the painting.  I’m feeling the way I used to feel when I stood at the edge of the high-dive, summoning up the courage to take the leap, to dive in, to just do it....

The graphite on the paper left the drawing overall smudged and  dirty.  I feel that were I to start painting, I’ll be able to wipe away the smudginess with the 1st thin layers of paint – to wash it off with a thin wash of color and a paper towel.  Or, I may just decide to clean the paper more with an eraser before I begin.  Time will tell on that one.  I have other things to do so will leave it alone, for now.  It’s there in plain view;  I can look at it and think about it as I go about the other business of the day, which is one of the things I like about having a painting in process.  


No comments:

Post a Comment